Personal Injury/Medical Negligence Claim against the MOD

#1 2019-08-24 20:19:38
Rokerman7392

Personal Injury/Medical Negligence Claim against the MOD

Good evening. I am a serving member of the RAF and was injured on duty in 2003. Ten years later in 2013 I collapsed and a MRI of my back revealed that I had actually broken my back and damaged 2 lumbar discs in 2003. These injuries were not diagnosed in 2003. I contacted several Solicitors in 2013 when I realised the extent of the injuries, but all advised that the 3 year limit for making a claim ran from 2003 - 2006, irrespective of the fact that I did not know the full extent of the injuries until 2013

In 2016 I had to undergo Spinal Fusion surgery as a result of the injuries from 2003. I now find myself in a less than ideal medical state which has limited my career in the RAF and will mean that I will be in pain for the rest of my life (I am 50 years old). Because the injury occured in 2003, I can only claim under the MOD War Pension Scheme when I leave the RAF in the future, but that scheme will not provide the amount of compensation which I would have been entitled to if the injuries had been diagnosed in 2003

In summary, I missed the 3 year time limit which ran from 2003 - 2006 due to Medical Negligence (failure to diagnose the injuries immediately after the accident despite 2 visits to the Doctors), and when I realised the extent of the injuries in 2013 the advice from Solicitors was that it was already too late to do anything. My injuries have been life-changing, and I do not appear to have any recourse. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Answer