Fault for a car accident

#1 2016-11-24 15:13:23
animalmad

Fault for a car accident

I was involved in a car crash last night - I've always been told that the last car at the back is always to blame but in this case it doesn't feel like that should be the case as I was 2 seconds away from the car in front (as recommended by the driving instructors who taught my pass plus course - I still say 'only a fool breaks to 2 second rule' 4 years after passing during motorway traffic). I had seen brake lights on car A, so was prepared to brake if necessary, but from the point car B braked, I had my foot straight on the floor but still couldn't stop in time - it was a dry good condition day, Car B braked but was at a total standstill from 60mph within less than a second of his brakelights going on - his car didn't slow to a stop but stopped abruptly. To me this seems like he had hit the car in front of him to bring him to a sudden stop. When I first checked he was ok he told me he'd slammed his brakes on when the car in front braked, but the second time I spoke to him he says there were no brake lights on car A (at the front). Car A left the scene. The guy in car B also says he has no idea if he stopped before hitting car A, but when I hit him I definitely only felt one collision (not me hitting him and then us both hitting car A). Also he has more damage to the front of his car than the back, and far more damage to the front of his car than mine, which surely would be the other way round if I shunted him into car A?
Also he kept changing things in what he was saying, as though he was trying to shift the blame. He also mentioned that 'he was only driving 2 junctions round the motorway so you dont really think about it' which seems careless and rings alarm bells to me. Can the insurance companies use the motorway CCTV to review the crash? As well as the blame I would like to know more about what happened from a different view point to my own to see if I could have done something else, though I don't think I would.

So my question is, in this scenario am I actually to blame? As if he stopped in a collision without braking in time his brake lights were not enough warning to prevent me stopping although I was following all the safe driving guidelines, and was already alert to the fact he was likely to brake soon (I had moved my foot the the brake pedal but not actually pressed it as I didn't have a clear view of car A, I just thought I could see brakelights further forwards
Even though I think there was nothing more that I could have done am I right in thinking the insurance will probably place blame on my car if I was at the back, in which case do I get any compensation for the pain I'm in from the crash (whiplash, and aching muscles on my legs where I braced as I could see I was going to hit him, as well as ankle pain)?

#2 2017-04-13 22:31:43
Malik

Please call me on 07722562279.

#3 2017-11-16 17:37:54
John C.

2017-11-16

Hi I had a similar sort of incident with road traffic. Basically what's going to happen now is your insurance and the third party insurance are going to settle liability. This happened with me is after my insurance got settled I got paid out for the damages to the car. After this there was a secondary payment as well so I spoke to these lawyers and they got me paid like ?4,000 for my back pain and whiplash and the compensation claim only took 2 months because these guys are fast track. My advice is if you're looking to get paid out quickly with relatively little stress send a text through his work line explaining what happened 07563361427 and request for James.