Smelly factory made us feel dizzy

#1 2009-08-27 07:29:35
Lauren

2009-08-27

Smelly factory made us feel dizzy

I was working in the food factory when my work-mate went for the medical leave. I was asked to replace her on the production line. I was usually putting stamps on the already packed food products and I had to replace her on the position where I had to deal with the aromas to the cookies. After two days I started having headaches and I felt sick all the time. Finally, after another couple of days my supervisor found me in the toilet. I was sick and dehydrated. Loosing my conscioussness I hurt my arm and hit my head. What was the most unfair I was dismissed immidiately and told that they don't need troubles with pregnent women. I contacted my collegue who I was replacing and she told me that she had the same health problems as I did and that after the medical leave she will not come back to the work because of it. Do we have any right to claim? Will it be difficult case to proove that we got sick because of the smell in the factory? We both had to change job and I lost the only one source of money for now so I think that I should be supported somehow.

#2 2009-08-27 08:59:44
johnmoore

2009-08-06

Hi Lauren, i would certainly speak to your union and see if you have been "unfairly dismissed" it may be difficult to determine what exactly caused the sickness however providing you have not been warned in the past then there is no apparent reason for you being dismissed.

Your employer legally has to allow you maternity leave and if your pregnancy was causing difficulties @ work they could have forced you to take early maternity leave. Your employer are under no legal obligation to pay you for your maternity leave and may only pay the equivalent of SSP during this period. however i would speak with the citizens advice or your union

#3 2016-07-08 21:46:28
Nollie

I'm out of league here. Too much brain power on diyslap!

#4 2016-07-09 10:48:18
Diandra

Alzkoaaam-infarmation found, problem solved, thanks!